Welcome

Hello and welcome! 

I’m so happy to welcome you to the Essential Jem blog! I wanted to have a space to really share all that I love about essential oils. My oil journey has been extraordinary. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful for these precious “Jems”. Before I tell you why I started using essential oils, I want to take a quick second to explain the name “Essential Jem”.

One day while waiting for me to make my debut in the world, a cartoon came on the tv. It was “truly outrageous”! The name of this cartoon was called Jem and the Holograms. The main character’s  name was Jerrica Benton. My mom asked my dad what he thought of the name Jerrica. I guess he was ok with it because here I am. Proud to have my 80’s cartoon name. Once my love for essential oils grew and I was looking for a name that stood for me, Essential Jem seemed like the perfect fit. Speaking of essential oil love...

Why I started using essential oils

There were MANY contributing factors to my anxiety. To tell you all of them would simply take far to long, so I’ll spare you the details. All you really need to know is I had anxiety, and I had it bad. The worst part was that it had progressed to the point that I began to have panic attacks. Not your 15 minutes of panic where you try to catch your breath and feel like you might die. No no no. I had the privilege of experiencing 4 hour MINIMUM panic attacks. Entire chunks out of days just gone. I became a slave to my racing heartbeat, cold then hot sweats, body shakes...you get the idea. Going out in public was a source of anxiety because I never knew what was going to set one off. How could anyone live like that?!

One night I began to feel anxious. I went to my room to try and calm myself. I was scheduled to work the following morning and really needed a good nights sleep. It was a holiday and we would be short on staff so I HAD to show up. Unfortunately, my anxiety has something else in mind. After about an hour of trying to calm myself, I felt my anxiety only increasing. None of my normal tactics were working. I started to truly believe I was going to die. This may sound dramatic to those of you who have never expirenced a panic attack, but for those of you who have, you know what I’m describing is no joke. Hours ticked by. Thankfully my husband talked me through it for awhile. Enough to where I could drift in and out of sleep. 5 min here, 10 min there, all throughout the night. Until finally my alarm went off at 7am. 10 excrutiating hours of pure mental torture and I wasn’t even close to being done.

I struggled to even stand while I tried to get ready for work. Finally I gave up the notion of attempting to apply a stitch of makeup. Somehow I made it out the door and to work. I walked in hunched over crying. I tried once more to calm myself. Enough to function so I could stay and work, but it wasn’t happening. I begged and pleaded for my boss to let me leave. Thank goodness she did. I went straight to a minute clinic convinced that my recent bout of food poisoning had something to do with this (remember I thought I was dying). Hours later I was seen. With my husband in the room, my mother-in-law at my house with my kids, I finally got an answer to what the heck was wrong with me.

The on-call doctor looked at me with pity and said “honey, the two have nothing to do with each other. Your food poisoning is long gone. You have severe anxiety. I recommend following up with a regular doctor and getting on some medication. That way you never get to the point where you have a panic attack”.

I had...anxiety? Me? I mean sure I was stressed. I hated my job, I had two small children that stuck to me like Velcro, I was carrying not only my stress but trying to carry everyone else’s as well. Of course I had anxiety! My poor brain just couldn’t take it anymore. I was literally shutting down. All I could focus on was that one word...medication. Dependency, side effects, cost. I wasn’t even on birth control because it made me psycho. I left feeling...anxious.

Thankfully though, my friend was already using essential oils. So I asked her if they would help. I was ready to try anything. So she bought me my first bottle of a women's blend. The oils in this blend  were absolutely amazing! They were so calming and quieting to my mind. After applying to my temples, I felt a sigh of relief come out. I was so patient that day. No yelling at the kids, no sudden outburst of anger, and best of all, no anxious feelings. Was this it? Could it be that easy? Well almost two years later I’m still using them. But I get to tell others too, and really help them. 

How to start your own oil journey

Contact me through My website. We can set up a time to talk about your health goals and concerns, a little bit about the company, and the best way for you to get started. If you like what you see, I can get you set up.

Comments

Popular Posts