What it’s like to teach an essential oil class




The preparation: 

I spent probably a month solid writing, tweaking, and practicing for my first class. Even now, 2 1/2 years later, I’m still adjusting my class script. There is so much that we are learning every day about essential oils. Sometimes it’s almost hard to keep up. Even now before I teach a class I run through the whole thing in my living room. Despite the constant interruptions from my kids, I do it until it feels right. 

What is it I’m working so hard on? You may think I’m perfecting my pitch or smoothing out my close, but really I’m trying to make sure the info I’m providing is coming through in the best way to retain, understand, and learn from. You see I love talking about essential oils. To me everything I say makes sense. But it didn’t always. I constantly try to think of how what I’m saying is going to come across. I’ve even had someone read my class back to me while I sat and listened. This was how I discovered that I was vomiting information. Buckets of it. I can’t possi teach someone everything they need to know about essential oils in a 45 minute class, and I’ve come to accept that. Begrudgingly, but accept nonetheless. If something isn’t making sense, I change it or simply eliminate it all together. 

The host: 

I learned very early on that trying to prepare for a class while also making sure my house is clean and refreshments are provided was very complicated. Not impossible, but very stressful for me. It also meant that the only people who were going to learn about essential oils were the people I had invited. So I began asking others if they would like to host a class. That way I can focus on the education and they can focus on entertaining. I even provide a gift for my hostess. This also meant that more people, people I had never met before, could have the opportunity to learn about essential oils as well. Therefore most of my classes are done through gracious hosts. 

Teaching: 

Before every class, wellness advocates around the world are oiling up, and I am no exception. If I am feeling particularly nervous or anxious, I put a drop of bergamot and vetiver under my tongue. These oils are very sedative to the nervous system and provide a natural tranquility. If I am nervous about someone in the room, causing me to doubt myself, I will take a drop of cassia since it is the oil of confidence. Usually once I get going though I calm right down. By the end of the class I’m cool as a cucumber. One of my favorite things about teaching a class is to see how quiet and withdrawn most people are when they arrive. As the class progresses and oils are being shared, they become more and more open and relaxed. Laughing and having such a good time. They don’t realize it but I notice. It’s absolutely beautiful. They are like morning glories that awake with each new breath of Aromatherapy. Its part of why I love what I do. By the end of the class they feel confident in their abilities to care for themselves and their families. They are empowered. There’s no greater feeling than knowing I had a part in making that happen. 

Comments

Popular Posts